Friday, March 27, 2020

UPDATE, AND A COVID-19 LESSON!

Hello again, students!   I enjoyed reading your responses to last week's video, and I was touched by some of them.  Many of you shared your thoughts on how these events have affected your lives, and I appreciated your honesty.  I was actually amazed at how much some of you wrote.  

Many of you had a lot to say about how this situation affected you, and continues to affect you.  I want to share a video that some of the Bullard Staff made, to let you know that we haven't forgotten  you:






And we aren't going to forget you----period.  Since that's true, starting today I'm going to start giving you more opportunities for reflection, and today's lesson is about the thing we all want to avoid. . . 

Well, we all probably now recognize this picture as an attempt to show the outer capsule that contains the COVID-19 virus.  Many people are hoping that, when spring finally gets here, that the virus will become less of a problem.  We don't actually know if that's true, and I don't want to raise false hopes.  

But the question of WHY people might have that hope is related to an important idea in Chemistry!   Watch the video first:  





Now, thinking about the video, contact me via email at:

Scott.Hatfield@fresnounified.org 

Inside the email, tell me in your own words how the concept of activation energy might explain how the coming of spring can, in fact, weaken some viruses.

No comments:

Post a Comment